Thursday, December 15, 2011

Chicken Liver Pate

One of my Christmas cooking recipes is chicken liver pate. It is delicious served with water crackers or toast triangles with quince paste. The recipe comes from the NMAA Cooks red cookbook. I have my own copy now, however the recipe came from my Aunt's copy many years ago. The cookbook was originally printed in 1975 and I have a 2002 copy. The cookbook is available by mail order from http://www.mothersdirect.com.au/
Ingredients:
250g chicken livers
125g butter
2 tbsp cream cheese or cream
1 tbsp brandy
1 tbsp snipped chives
1/4 teaspoon mixed herbs
nutmeg
salt and pepper
more butter for topping
Method:

chop livers and cook slowly in 1/4 of the butter.


until livers are nearly cooked 


add the rest of the butter to the pan along with the chopped herbs, cream or cream cheese, brandy, dash of nutmeg and salt & pepper

cook for about five minutes

decant into a container to blend the pate to your desired consistancy,
then pour into ramekins.

melt some more butter and pour onto top of ramekins. I like to add a sprig of fresh herbs. The butter will set and the pate will keep in the fridge for up to two weeks. I also cover with plastic wrap and freeze.
 Enjoy!







1 comment:

  1. Oh yum! Nothing like a good old school recipe. This looks fabulous!

    xo em

    ReplyDelete